Friday 30 May 2014

The Octonauts go costal.

So this month I took part in the Handmade Kids Clothing Swap twice over. To be honest I thought I only signed up once but since to be in it twice you needed to fill in the forms twice I must have changed my mind at some point. I am rather glad that I did because it pushed me and I love a chance to be creative.

The challenge for this swap was for a little boy who loves cars and Oconauts. I have to say I jumped at the chance to go to Octonauts, my boys loved them when they were in preschool so I had fond memories.


 I did a little stalking of my swapee (looked at her pinterest boards) to find out what she liked. I stumbled over the costal cargos there and immediately thought that was it...

Of course they look a little different from the originals. But I do think they scream Octonauts.



Instead of using bias tape I found some great octonauts ribbon. I also added some button hole elastic as the little lad I was making them for was tiny and I think it makes sizing that bit easier.



 I didn't add a lot of the details of the pattern namely with welt and cargo pockets because I thought they were busy enough especially after I added the octo alert knee patches. There is not an episode of that show that goes by without them needing to sound the octo alert. So I appliqued and used buttons to great effect I think, even though at the time I was a bit annoyed about the need of 8 legs.


So here are the lovely octo costal pants... 
Hope he likes them as much as we do.

3 comments:

  1. You are a superstar Bell! My little guy didn't stop pressing his "octoalerts" from the time he put them on this afternoon til it was time for bed! Thank you SO much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all the emergencies he was attending were minor :-)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome Bell! You did such a great job. I just read your comment about the accidently signing up twice thing! Ops!

    By the way I have made a little linky thing on my blog for the swap if you feel like joining in :) http://mendandmakenew.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/handmade-kids-clothing-swap-2014-catch.html Jen x

    ReplyDelete